Sources of Advice

If a letting or managing agent is being used, they should be able to provide some free essential advice about housing law as part of their services.

The local authority or local Citizens Advice office can also provide simple information on housing law.

Some excellent leaflets are available from the GOV.UK website here.

Landlord associations usually offer members free essential legal advice. If more detailed legal advice, representation or advocacy is needed, then it may be necessary to consult a solicitor. Make sure the solicitor used is experienced in landlord and tenant law. It is best to go by personal recommendation, and the local landlord association will be able to suggest suitable firms. Firms specialising in work for landlords often advertise on landlord-related websites on the internet. Remember to keep receipts for any legal costs incurred because it may be possible to obtain tax relief against these payments.

Be careful when reading blogs: there are many urban myths out there, and other landlords are not always reliable sources of information.

Useful Contacts

Many of the most valuable contacts are on the internet, and most libraries offer free internet access for those without access to the internet. Alternatively, the library can provide telephone contact numbers for different services within a local area.