Cooker installation: whose responsibility?

In tenancies which do not include appliances, tenants are of course responsible for bringing & having theirs fitted by qualified contractors.  Landlords must however pay for safety testing.  If eg. tenants have fitted electric cooker on standard 13amp plug, this would prevent EICR pass. Who must pay? (Similarly if fitted own gas cooker poorly & apart from risk to health & property, would fail CP12.

In our recent case, as our contractors were there anyway, we paid.  It seems for the sake of safety & protection from claims this might be something we may have to absorb on a regular basis?

View Related Handbook Page

Electrical Safety and Electrical Goods

Landlords should have a clear understanding of their responsibilities in relation to electrical installations and appliances

Gas Safety

It is vital that landlords clearly understand their responsibilities and obligations in relation to gas supply and appliances and the duties and responsibilities placed on them by the gas safety regulations.