Letting a Room in a Property Purchased for My Student Son to Live In

We are purchasing a property in the city where my son attends University. He intends to live in our property whilst at University and let the second bedroom to one of his friends. What form of contract should we use for his friend who will have his bedroom but share the living room/ kitchen area and bathroom?

View Related Handbook Page

Types of Tenancy - Licences and Lodgers

A licence is where someone is allowed to occupy a property but does not have a tenancy. The owner's 'licence' or permission prevents the occupier from being a trespasser. Some of the protective legislation for tenants does not apply to licences.