Adding New Tenant to Existing Tenancy Agreement (AST)

Hi there

My tenant, who recently moved in, would like her brother permanently added to the tenancy agreement. I will ask him to do a full tenancy reference check, but can I alter the existing agreement, or should I cancel the current one and draw up a new one? If so, is there a procedure I should follow?

View Related Handbook Page

Types of Tenancy - Assured and Assured Shorthold Tenancies

These types of tenancies are governed by the statutory code set up in the Housing Act 1988, which was amended slightly by the Housing Act 1996. Today's vast majority of tenancies will be assured shorthold tenancies, and both assured and assured shorthold tenancy can charge a market rent for the property.